A fresh approach to restaurant access
Freshii, the health casual restaurant brand, saw an opportunity to improve storefront accessibility in Chicago for guests with disabilities. While Freshii stores in the Chicagoland area were technically accessible under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements, in reality they were not practically accessible. For those with limited dexterity and reach, opening the door was an impossible task.
Freshii turned to Inclusion Solutions for help accomplishing these primary goals:
• Provide storefront accessibility to an underserved community.
• Make all guests, including those with a disability, feel welcome and glad they visited a Freshii location.
• Administer training for all Freshii staff on how to better engage with guests with disabilities and create a feeling of inclusivity.
• Increase business amongst the Chicagoland disability community and their friends and family, many of whom expressed an interest in giving their business to places that “walk the talk” of disability awareness.
• Develop staff to make a difference in other people’s lives, knowin this skillset will translate beyond the Freshii culture into personal and professional endeavors elsewhere.
• Set the bar within the fast casual brand competitive landscape for what it means to
Inclusion Solutions branded its BigBell™ Flex door alert system exclusively for Chicago’s leading health casual concept. Guests with a disability, an older adult needing a hand, or a parent with a stroller simply press the oversize touchpad on the freestanding alert system. Once the touchpad is pressed, a visual signal and an audio ringtone are triggered inside the store to notify Freshii staff a guest needs assistance from step one of their in-store experience. When staff see the signal or hear the ringtone, a team member engages and provides extra assistance – anything from opening the door, to ordering, to grabbing a beverage, or to getting situated at a table.
The Inclusion Solutions BigBell™ Flex helped Freshii:
• Increase brand awareness within the disability community and their friends and family by providing better support during the in-store visit.
• Standardize the disability community’s guest experience across all locations by facilitating training for the Freshii staff on the BigBell™ system and Freshii’s customer service expectations.
• Improve business by tapping into a previously underserved market segment and encouraging repeat visits through positive employee-customer engagement.
• Save thousands of dollars by improving storefront access without undertaking costly building modifications or installing expensive power doors.
• Avoid litigation by ensuring storefront access was not just technically compliant under ADA requirements but practically accessible by those in need of assistance.